Skip to main content

Data Management - Elephant & Seven Blind Men

I am sure most of you read a story of Elephant and Seven Blind Men. For starters - this is how the story goes -

"A number of blind men came to an elephant. Somebody told them that it was an elephant. The blind men asked, ‘What is the elephant like?’ and they began to touch its body. One of them said: 'It is like a pillar.' This blind man had only touched its leg. Another man said, ‘The elephant is like a husking basket.’ This person had only touched its ears. Similarly, he who touched its trunk or its belly talked of it differently."

As Wikipedia mentions - This story has been used to illustrate a range of truths and fallacies. At various times it has provided insight into the relativism, opaqueness or inexpressible nature of truth, the behavior of experts in fields where there is a deficit or inaccessibility of information, the need for communication, and respect for different perspectives.

The moral of the story is - While one's subjective experience is true, it may not be the totality of truth.

As this is true in every experience that we get in life - personal or professional, its more true in the domain that we all work and discuss on this blog - Data Management. The all main players in this world - Consulting companies, customer business units and the product companies - most of these behave like a blind men in the story. Everybody talks about data management, data governance, master data, intelligence and dashboard everyday. But the perspectives are different - looking at big picture is most of the time missing.

When people talk about Data Management, you invariably hear following things - 

1. Master Data Management - How do I manage different master data in my company - Products, Suppliers, Customers ?
2. Data Quality - How do I maintain the quality of data - De-duplication, cleansing, normalizing ?
3. Data Governance - In this big system landscape, how do I govern the source, process and target systems and flow. How do i ensure sustainable and more consistent processes ?
4. Tools and Technologies - With so many vendors, ERP systems, BI systems in place - how do I choose the long term ETL soultions ? How do I architect my  landscape for maximum benefits ?
5. Intelligence - The output of all my efforts is to get the efficiency in the process, optimize my systems - data and then garner intelligence to execute. Is MDM right solution, Spend Intelligence ? Multiple BI dashboards - or there is one stop solution for everything ?
6. Do I need to invest in different Datawarehousing investment to get data initiative benefit or my existing ERP will work ?
7. Should I start with my data initiative before looking at supply chain initiatives like Advanced Planning & Optimization implementation?

I am sure you may have your own experiences.

So What I am going to do here is - posting series of articles here, covering different perspectives from customer, consultants, software vendors etc.

Watch this place, and also let me know your suggestions which I should include here -

Thanks
Prashant Mendki
pmendki (at) gmail (dot) com
Twitter - @pmendki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Data Management – Product or Process ?

I have 2 SAP systems and I want to fix my material master, Services Master. I want all that data to be clean, standardized, classified, enriched and load it back to my SAP in next 6 months. What do you suggest ? Chris - one of my key client was explaining during a “solution understanding” call. My sales manager Tom, enthusiastically started talking about new version of the MDM platform by ERP company, tools, technologies, product landscape, licenses etc. After 30 minutes of sales pitch, I could see confusion on Chris’s face clearly. He said - but I don’t want to add any new product in my infrastructure for all this. Can you just implement MDM for me without I adding any new software ?   Both are using MDM implementation as a keyword, but in a completely different context. Chris wants to implement MDM as a process while Tom was trying to sell MDM as a new software. Whats the difference ? Lot I will say. MDM as a product – when you sell a   software license to a customer

Journey of procurement transformation begins with..….. Part II

 Original Blog post - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/journey-procurement-transformation-begins-part-ii-prashant-mendki Procurement transformation journey is complex, cross functional, time consuming and even frustrating at times. The very basic but a strategic step to start this journey is “Spend Analysis”. Again – this has to be done in a right way to get the potential benefits. We talked about that in first part of this article https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/journey-procurement-transformation-begins-part-i-prashant-mendki By definition – Spend Analysis is an analysis of your spend (invoice paid), what items you are spending on (product), who you are paying to (supplier). It looks really simple – no? When I worked with one of the large Media Entertainment company few years back, they had thousands of suppliers, millions of transactions, good amount of Maverick spend. It’s a global business with more than $2Bn in Spend, 12 different global systems. Thousands of transacti

Everything you want to Know about Supplier Diversity

Last month I have written an article on supplier diversity titled Supplier Diversity have you checked your Supplier base? it gathered lot of interest among industry players in the topic. So I thought of having a one comprehensive article to cover all aspects of Supplier Diversity, what is it, its importance in supply chain etc is. So here are my 2 cents – So what’s the definition of Supplier Diversity worldwide? In the United States of America diversity suppliers are defined as businesses that are at least 51 percent owned, operated and controlled by one or more persons who are: • A racial or ethnic minority, including African American, Asian Indian American, Asian Pacific American, Hispanic American and Native American • Female • Gay, lesbian, bi-sexual or transgender • U.S. veteran or U.S. service disabled veteran Additionally, businesses certified as Small Disadvantaged Business (SDB) or Historically Underutilized Business Zone (HUB Zone) by the U.S. Small Business Administration