Skip to main content

Data Management – Are we all speaking same language ?


I compared the “Data Management” with a story of Elephant and Seven Blind Men in my last blog post http://manageyourdata.blogspot.in/2012/09/data-management-elephant-seven-blind-men.html. I promised to start writing my views about the issues that I heard so far from my customers, consultants and product companies that I worked with.

The first issue is confusion with the whole terminology. This seems very basic thing but if all stakeholders in this value chain are not talking same language, same terms with same meaning the initiative is doomed to fail.

5 years back in 2007, when I was working on evaluating a “data mapper” product for a company in California – I realized how complex a terminolgy issue can be. I was at their office for 2 days, going through product screens, meeting high value real architects. The product was really good, nice UI, good functionality – but less appeal in the market. I was talking to marketing head, and he said – Prashant ask me questions about the product. Ask me when you seek a functionality in a product, what would you ask for. And I did that. You know what – the company worked hard based on such feedback from industry users and within a year launch new version which talks in terms of users and then bought over by a giant. Value unlocked. That was one off example.

What were my questions to them ?

1.    How does ETL works in this ?
2.    What is the data profiling mechanism?
3.    Does this tool normalize my data ?
4.    Does this tool classify my data ?
5.    Does this deduplicate ?
6.    Can this gives  me exceptions to rules data sets ?
7.    Can I override tool with my own rules ?
8.    Does this toll enrich my data ?
9.    Can I specify attributes for enrichment ?
10. Can I have multilevel enrichment ?
11. Can I map different datasets to one common datasets?
12. Can this tool produces validation reports with data ?

Few of these seems typical techno-functional and not so business based questions. But when you Go to market – who is your customer? For data – mostly its IT people – who are technical. The business will surely have a different set of questions but they will map to these invariably. How ?

What a Supply Chain or Procurement business person will ask typically for ?
1.    How do I cleanse my multilevel redundant BOM (Bill of Material ) Data ?
2.    How do I generate required spare parts listing with good data ?
3.    Can I have cleansed, good quality suppliers list ?
4.    Where do I aggregate my suppliers by parents – to leverage spending patterns ?
5.    How do I search my customer list and aggregate that ?
6.    Can I have a classified product list – to get necessary dashboard, inventory or spend amounts ?

Have a close look and you will see most of it maps to core questions above.

So in next post – I will try to provide glossary of terminology that invariably and interchangeably used while discussing Data Management .

As usual – Please keep sending your feedback & questions.

Prashant Mendki
Pmendki at gmail dot com
Twitter - @pmendki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Data Management – Product or Process ?

I have 2 SAP systems and I want to fix my material master, Services Master. I want all that data to be clean, standardized, classified, enriched and load it back to my SAP in next 6 months. What do you suggest ? Chris - one of my key client was explaining during a “solution understanding” call. My sales manager Tom, enthusiastically started talking about new version of the MDM platform by ERP company, tools, technologies, product landscape, licenses etc. After 30 minutes of sales pitch, I could see confusion on Chris’s face clearly. He said - but I don’t want to add any new product in my infrastructure for all this. Can you just implement MDM for me without I adding any new software ?   Both are using MDM implementation as a keyword, but in a completely different context. Chris wants to implement MDM as a process while Tom was trying to sell MDM as a new software. Whats the difference ? Lot I will say. MDM as a product – when you sell a   software license to a customer

Journey of procurement transformation begins with..….. Part II

 Original Blog post - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/journey-procurement-transformation-begins-part-ii-prashant-mendki Procurement transformation journey is complex, cross functional, time consuming and even frustrating at times. The very basic but a strategic step to start this journey is “Spend Analysis”. Again – this has to be done in a right way to get the potential benefits. We talked about that in first part of this article https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/journey-procurement-transformation-begins-part-i-prashant-mendki By definition – Spend Analysis is an analysis of your spend (invoice paid), what items you are spending on (product), who you are paying to (supplier). It looks really simple – no? When I worked with one of the large Media Entertainment company few years back, they had thousands of suppliers, millions of transactions, good amount of Maverick spend. It’s a global business with more than $2Bn in Spend, 12 different global systems. Thousands of transacti

Everything you want to Know about Supplier Diversity

Last month I have written an article on supplier diversity titled Supplier Diversity have you checked your Supplier base? it gathered lot of interest among industry players in the topic. So I thought of having a one comprehensive article to cover all aspects of Supplier Diversity, what is it, its importance in supply chain etc is. So here are my 2 cents – So what’s the definition of Supplier Diversity worldwide? In the United States of America diversity suppliers are defined as businesses that are at least 51 percent owned, operated and controlled by one or more persons who are: • A racial or ethnic minority, including African American, Asian Indian American, Asian Pacific American, Hispanic American and Native American • Female • Gay, lesbian, bi-sexual or transgender • U.S. veteran or U.S. service disabled veteran Additionally, businesses certified as Small Disadvantaged Business (SDB) or Historically Underutilized Business Zone (HUB Zone) by the U.S. Small Business Administration